The first OCF Local Boulder Comp is next weekend!
Saturday, October 20: Open, Junior and A athletes qualifiers
Sunday, October 21: B Athletes and Final Round (Open/JR/A)
Registration closes on Tuesday October 16th at 11:59 pm. There are NO registrations accepted past the cut-off.
Important Details about waivers for Hub Climbing Gym, 165 McIntosh Drive, Markham
For any competitor who has never been to the Hub before, you must complete a bouldering orientation prior to climbing on any of the walls. If you have an opportunity to go to the gym a few days prior to the comp to complete this requirement please do so, otherwise you will complete it after checking in, while in ISO.
The Ontario Climbing Federation and Climbing Escalade Canada have decided on a reasonable qualification process for 2019 Open Bouldering Nationals. The CEC has asked for a process that requires participation in PSO-organized events, and the OCF has demanded that the process be as accessible as possible, given the late announcement. We have agreed to the following:
Open athletes (born 2003 and earlier) must compete in at least one of the OCF Bouldering Locals or OCF Bouldering Provincials in order to qualify for Open Bouldering Nationals. There is no quota, so any athletes that compete- regardless of their final result or rank- can attend Open Bouldering Nationals.
A and JR age athletes are not required to register in the “Open” category for these Locals or Provincials. Participating in the A or JR category is enough to earn a spot at Open Bouldering Nationals.
Rules for Foreign Nationals are not yet completed, and we await a decision and announcement from the CEC. We have asked that any further policies be announced before our first local.
The OCF is in the process of building a long term Open ranking system for the 2019/2020 season that allows us to fairly qualify athletes for Nationals, while taking into account the competition formats that the OCF has supported for so many seasons.
Welcome to all New and Returning OCF Members. We are looking forward to the upcoming 2018/2019 Ontario Competitive Climbing season!
OCF memberships fees for 2018/2019 will be increased to $45 to cover our increased sanctioning fees to CEC.
Registration is now open for all Bouldering locals.
The 2018/2019 Competition Schedule is available here.
As per August 21st Facebook Post:
There will be no CEC Open National Series events this season. We await clarification of the selection process for Nationals from the CEC High Performance Committee.
Bouldering – Format Changes
- D/E categories will continue to be 8 problem modified scramble with 8 attempt max.
- B/C categories will be ISO format qualifier round consisting of 5 problems, and no finals round.
- JR/A and Open categories will be ISO format qualifier round consisting of 5 problems. Top 8 athletes in each category will advance to finals round consisting of 4 problems. Qualifier and finals will follow IFSC format. (This format may change pending changes in the CEC qualification process for Nationals.)
- C/D/E locals will feature D/E categories on Saturday and C category on Sunday.
- JR/A/B and Open locals will feature JR/A/Open qualifiers on Saturday, with B category qualifiers on Sunday followed by JR/A/Open finals later on Sunday.
The format will remain the same as the 2017/2018 series as follows with slight adjustments:
- D/E will have a modified scramble consisting of 4 routes, each of which they can attempt twice. For the 2018/2019 season, D/E climbers will follow a running order to organize athletes more efficiently and their score will take attempts into account to help eliminate ties.
- B/C and JR/A/Open will have a qualifier round consisting of two routes, followed by an on-sight format final round with one route.
- D/E locals will be held on Saturdays.
- B/C and JR/A/Open locals will feature JR/A/Open climbers on Saturday, and B/C climbers on Sunday.
In the interest of securing the best facilities to host our events, we have increased our competition registration fees. The majority of the registration fee is paid through to the host gym.
Bouldering Local D/E/C/B – $65
Bouldering Local JR/A/OPEN – $75
Bouldering Provincials – $100
Difficulty Local D/E – $65
Difficulty Local B/C JR/A/OPEN – $85
Difficulty Provincials – $125
Please Note: Website will be updated to reflect 2018/2019 changes by September 25th.
Exciting Opportunity for the Upcoming 2018/2019 OCF Climbing Season
Are you interested in getting more involved and want to join the OCF Competition Committee?
We are still looking for a few more keen individuals to complete the team.
Please contact Lisa Gray at email@example.com to express your interest and indicate any relevant experience.
Deadline for submission is Sunday September 23rd.
Events/Competition Committee Focus
- Setting the series schedule including number of competitions and formats of competitions for each category
- Preparing and sending out the gym hosting application package
- Liaising with gyms to identify those venues willing to host events
- Selecting the venues where competitions will be held
- Organizing the video technician schedule for the series
- Organizing non-technical volunteers including problem/route judges, belayers, timers, runners, iso monitors, iso registration desk hosts
- Liaising with gyms in advance of competitions
- Managing events
We will be looking for people for the following committees in the future. If one of these is a better fit for you, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
Member Outreach committee
OCF Judging Clinic (combined bouldering and difficulty)
The OCF is happy to announce a pre-season Bouldering and Difficulty Judging Clinic for the upcoming competitive season (2018/2019).
The clinic will be facilitated by Stephanie Tabbert, one of our OCF Jury Presidents.
Date: Saturday, September 22nd 2018
Time: 10:00 am- 12:00 pm
Location: The Core Climbing Gym, 500 Jamieson Pkwy #1, Cambridge, ON N3C 0G5
The clinic is for those volunteers who would like to learn to judge Bouldering and Difficulty Climbing. It will be approximately 2 hours in length. If you have previously judged at OCF competitions and would like a “refresher” you are also invited to join the clinic. Any competitive youth climber competing in second year B, Junior and Open is also more than welcome to attend the clinic.
Please email Laura Nuesken at firstname.lastname@example.org if you plan to attend or have any questions, so that we can keep track of numbers.
*** If you want to judge at any OCF boulder or difficulty competition, you must attend a judging clinic that the OCF offers or have attended a prior judging clinic run by the OCF.***
An OCF board meeting was held on Sunday August 12, 2018 at 9:00 a.m. in Toronto
Attendees: Shaun Hunter, Lisa Gray, Tyler Norton, Davis Barton, Laura Nuesken, Will Johnson, Lorraine Winger
- Finance update
- Development of committee structure for the 2018/2019 season
- Hosting criteria for speed events
- Arranging judging clinics
- Request to develop proposal for outreach to distant communities
- Website improvements
The next meeting will be held on Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 9:00 am in Toronto, ON.
D Category results from the difficulty local held on February 3rd, 2018 at the Boiler Room Climbing Gym.
Download (PDF, 41KB)
Download (PDF, 42KB)
Please note that National Series Competitors enter from the rear of the building from 8 am on.
While recreational competitors enter from the main entrance of the facility for Bloc Topia (our recreational competition) happening in the middle of the day.